Building Better Opportunities
Building Better OpportunitiesChanging Futures is one of three Building Better Opportunities projects in Lancashire being delivered by a partnership of over 60 organisations, led by Selnet (the Social Enterprise Lancashire Network).
Age of Opportunity supports people over 50, Invest in Youth supports 15-24-year olds and Changing Futures supports people with multiple and complex barriers to employment. Over three years, these three specialist projects will help transform the lives of 3270 disadvantaged people based on their individual needs and interests, helping them to overcome complex barriers and move towards work and training.
Building Better Opportunities is funded by the The National Lottery Community Fund and the European Social Fund (ESF) 2014-2020, and is investing in local projects tackling the root causes of poverty, promoting social inclusion and driving local jobs and growth.
Changing FuturesThe Sewing Rooms is proud to be a partner in Lancashire’s ‘Changing Futures’ project. The project aims to support 1,000 people who are most at risk of exclusion from the labour market across Lancashire, and identify, reduce and remove their barriers to employment.
The project is being delivered across Lancashire with a focus on areas where there are high levels of poverty, targeting Black, Asian and minority ethnic groups, women, people with physical and/or mental health issues and learning difficulties.
The project will have a considerable long-term positive impact on the lives of some of the most disadvantaged unemployed or economically inactive people in Lancashire. In addition, it will increase confidence, self-esteem and motivation; build lasting networks of support; improve health and wellbeing; and help to develop skills that will enable participants to move towards learning and work. This support can include:
- Help accessing/applying for education or training programmes
- Help searching and applying for volunteering opportunities
- Access to support groups and activities
- Help understanding what is important to you in your future job & a personalised action plan
- Support in developing a CV and covering letters
- Access to Skills Days
- Support to increase your confidence, self-esteem and motivation
- Help with job searching and completing job applications
- Help to manage and over-come barriers that may prevent you entering education or applying for a job